The AMANJ has six types of membership available depending on your involvement in the Assessing Profession.
- To be eligible for Regular Membership, an individual shall be qualified in accordance with the requirements of Chapter 44, Laws of 1967, and Chapter 278, Laws of 1999 (NJSA 54:1-35.25 et seq., and shall be currently employed in one of the Titles listed below:
- Deputy Assessor
- Assistant Assessor in all classified titles
- To be eligible for Regular Membership, an individual shall be a member in good standing of their respective County Assessors Association.
- Regular members shall be eligible for all the rights of membership including the right to vote and to serve on committees.
- Regular members shall be eligible to hold an elected office in the AMANJ, provided they meet the qualifications outlined in Article IV, Section 1 of these By-Laws.
- Regular members holding the title of Tax Assessor or Deputy Assessor shall be eligible to participate in the Legal Program, provided they meet the requirements of Article II, Section 2 & 3; and Article VII, Section 2 of these By-Laws.
- Each regular member shall have the right to cast ONLY one (1) vote.
- The following shall be eligible for Associate Membership:
- All persons regularly engaged in assessment administration at the County or State level in New Jersey.
- All persons employed in the office of a Municipal Assessor, and;
- All retired government employees holding a C.T.A. certificate not otherwise eligible for Regular Membership.
- Associate Members shall have the right to serve on committees. However, Associate Members shall NOT be eligible to hold a position/office on the Board of Directors and shall NOT have the right to vote, nor shall they be eligible for any Legal Benefits.
- Affiliate membership shall be limited to:
- Individuals or firms involved in property assessment and taxation not otherwise eligible for Regular or Associate Membership.
- To be eligible for Affiliate Membership a prospective candidate shall:
- Be sponsored by a Regular Member in good standing.
- Submit an application to the Membership Chairperson, together with a letter stating their affiliation with the Assessing Profession, and their affiliation with the sponsoring member.
- An application for Affiliate Membership shall be deemed approved upon receipt of a majority affirmative vote of the Board of Directors. The Board shall be vested with absolute discretion in this regard.
- Affiliate Membership becomes effective in the AMANJ upon notification of approval to the applicant and receipt of payment for the appropriate dues from the applicant.
- Affiliate members shall NOT be eligible to vote or hold office, nor shall they be eligible for any Legal Benefits. Appointments to committees shall be subject to the approval of the Board of Directors.
- Affiliate Membership in the AMANJ may be terminated by an affirmative majority vote of the Board of Directors if good cause is shown that said affiliation is no longer in the best interest of the AMANJ.
- Any Person who held a Regular or Associate Membership while they were a municipal Employee, and who has completely retired and is no longer working in the assessment field, may be eligible for Retired AMANJ Membership.
- Retired AMANJ Members shall NOT be eligible to hold a position/office on the Board of Directors, shall NOT have the right to vote, shall NOT have the right to serve on committees, nor shall they be eligible for any Legal Benefits.
- Past Presidents of this Association who have retired or otherwise been honorably separated from the service of Municipal Assessor in the State of New Jersey, shall be presented with a “Life Membership” in the AMANJ and be presented with a “gold” Life Membership card.
- Life members shall be eligible to serve on committees and participate in discussions. However, Life Members shall NOT be eligible to vote in General Elections or to hold office, nor shall they be eligible for any Legal Benefits.
- Life Members shall be exempt from the payment of annual dues.
- Persons NOT currently holding Membership, who have made a distinct contribution to the AMANJ and whose efforts deserve public recognition, shall be eligible for election as an Honorary Member.
- Any candidate’s name for this honor shall be presented to the Board of Directors, in writing, by at least two (2) members in good standing who state the qualifications of the proposed candidate.
- Honorary Members shall be elected by a majority affirmative vote of the Board of Directors. The General Membership shall be notified of the proposed candidate by their respective County Presidents at least fifteen (15) days prior to the meeting of the Board of Directors.
- Honorary Membership shall be conferred for life. Honorary members shall be presented with a “silver” membership card and shall be exempt from the payment of annual dues.
- Honorary members shall be eligible to serve on committees and participate in discussions. However, Honorary members shall NOT be eligible to vote, to hold office, or to serve as Committee Chairperson, nor shall they be eligible for any Legal Benefits.